In this photo, it was impossible for the photographer to get a shot without the utility pole in front of the building. I managed to remove the pole, wires, reflections, and shadows, while being very careful to maintain the underlying brick and perforated steel patterns. The final image was later published in residential architect‘s April-March 2011 issue:
The focus of this image is clearly the large pivoting door, but the original had some elements that proved distracting. I used Photoshop to remove the entry table and lighten the neighboring house which had featured too prominently in the image. Additionally, the doorway on the left was restored to the designer’s intent, from the contractor’s alteration.
This series of photos feature a building clad in untreated steel panels. In time, the panels would continue to rust until the surface is relatively even, however the architects planned to photograph and publish the project prior to this process being completed. Using a variety of methods, I was able to simulate the rusted effect, while being careful not to create a visibly cloned surface.
It wasn’t until the final images were received that the architect decided to exclude the poolside umbrellas from the photo. Since we had missed the opportunity to wheel them away and reshoot, I was tasked with removing the umbrellas via Photoshop. The pool steps were also removed, as the architect felt that they distracted from the focus of the image.
This construction site photo was the best existing image we had, when the project needed to be submitted for an award. Rather than send a photographer out to the remote site, I was able to approximate the completed structures using elements from other photos. The completed image later appeared in Architectural Record‘s April 2008 issue.